Friday, August 2, 2013

Discipline or a lesson?

This morning my daughter finished eating breakfast, and threw the remnants of her plum on the floor.  This was the first time I've seen her do this, and it was blatantly disrespectful.  As she was sliding off of her chair, I asked her politely to please pick up her plum and throw it away.  She replied "Nope, you do it," as she ran off.  My options at that point became limited.  She is 2, and while I could have man handled her into physically throwing away that plum, that wouldn't have really taught her much of a lesson other than the fact that I am stronger than her.  I could have ignored it, and simply thrown the plum away, but I don't ever tolerate disrespect, and believe that disrespect births disrespect.

I walked into the playroom where she had escaped to, and informed her that she would play with no toys, or watch no television until she threw her plum away.  I quietly added that it was not nice of her to  make an intentional mess for me to clean.  She immediately went to the cabinet where the toys were, and I gently moved her away and sat in front of the cabinet so she couldn't open it.

She stood there for a minute, clearly heating up.  "I watch tv?"

"No.  No toys, no tv until you throw the plum away."

She stayed still for awhile, clearly debating this in her mind.  Minutes ticked by and she didn't move.  Then she started crying.

"I want Sofia The First."

I didn't say anything.  She cried for a few more minutes and then went into the kitchen to throw the plum away.  Before she came back into the playroom, I had Sofia The First booted up on the tv.

"Thank you for making a good decision.  I'm proud of you," and I gave her a hug.

I don't feel as though she was punished, I feel as though she had a lesson.  I hope it was a successful lesson, but I won't know that until it happens again.  What I hope she took from this situation is that she has to clean up her mess, that if I ask her to do something, she is expected to do it, and most importantly  I hope that she was reminded that she needs to respect me.  That throwing something on the floor for me to clean up is not ok because it is unkind.  I hope above all things that my children learn kindness and respect, and I hope this gentle lesson furthered her along the path of both kindness and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment